Friday 11 January 2008

So who am I?

Hi All,

I thought I would start off with a little ramble about myself, who I am and what I do.

I started off in the fitness industry working at the Galleon Leisure Club in Didsbury, at the young age of 17. I had only had a very low level gym qualification, but it gave me the basics. I started off as a gym junior, basically doing all the cleaning jobs/keeping the place ticking over and helping out with members questions. This experience made me really appreciate what a great place a gym is, I really enjoyed the atmosphere and had the opportunity to work with some great people.


After a month I knew this was what I wanted to do with my life, I decided to attend the BAWLA Instructors course, and once I had passed this I was made a Fitness Instructor. I loved it, I got to do so much more than wiping down the machines and filling the water cooler!! I was finally let loose on the members, designing very basic programs, doing inductions and still my share of the cleaning! Again working more closely with the members allowed me to meet some great people and help them in my small way to achieve their personal wellbeing goals. I think this is where I got my first exposure to what great personal rewards being a personal trainer can give you.

Even though looking back I now see how little I actually knew, but it gave me that grounding in knowing how gyms worked and how to work as part of the fitness team. After a six months or so, and a shock to myself in that I had found a job that actually enjoyed, I got into a conversation with one of the personal trainers about what it took to become a PT. He recommended that I look at the Premier Diploma in Personal Training and Sports Therapy as a good course to aim towards, and after a bit of research I did just that. These course was not cheap and cost in the region of £3,000 for the full time course, so I had my goal, I just had to raise the money. So I just worked and worked, I took all the shifts I could and saved up for the course and a bit extra to see me though. As soon as I had the money I booked on the course, and I was on my way to my dream of becoming a personal trainer!

The diploma was again another of my great experiences in this industry, I was with a great group of people and I could not have asked for a better tutor. The course was gruelling, early starts and late finishes (two busses and a hour walk each way!) and most nights I got home and felt like my head was going to explode from all the information Doug had crammed into my brain. But again after a lot of hard work I managed to graduate, I had finally achieved what I wanted so badly. To be a qualified Personal Trainer! In a later blog I am planning to cover how to become a personal trainer, as I am often asked. So I will look at what is covered on a PT course in more detail then!

Well going to leave it there for today, will move on to part two of my ramble about me tomorrow!

TOM

Tom Godwin – Personal Trainer – Foresight Fitness Services (Personal Training + Corporate Wellbeing) - Manchester and Cheshire, UK

trainer@foresight-fitness.co.uk

www.foresight-fitness.co.uk

No comments: